Saturday, January 27, 2007

IN THE GARDEN DOODLES SET

download

I hope you enjoy these doodles – these first ones are dedicated to Amy W. who made the first request on my 'doodler' talents. Amy W. who works tirelessly every day to assemble a whole raft of freebies on her blog so we have one-stop-shopping at her place. I will do Easter Eggs yet – only a tad closer to mid-spring, ok?


My friend Melanie joined me to pass the day while my dearest was off at a business meeting. Melanie watched and learned while I created your doodles. We took some time out to visit the Dollar store for two items I have been hankering for, for a while now – tarragon and dill. When you're watching your waistline spices can help jazz up some otherwise paltry and sparse meals. I love tarragon with chicken, fish and for my own version of non-garlic toast. You simply butter (or spray with Olive Oil or no-fat spray), both sides, sliced bread and pop it under the broiler like you would regular garlic toast. It has a wonderful taste with none of the garlic breath to go with it.



Yes, Mel took me to the thrift store AGAIN... like she had to drag me, hey? I had to rob my piggy bank severely along the way! I didn't think there could be anything new out yet – but I was wrong! I wound up buying this beautiful tall candle holder (the red tall thing - is there a name for that, like a storm candle or something?) for $1.50 (I saw them in our local home hardware store at Christmas for over $30) and a luxurious coverlet edged by eyelet lace. Mel and I got excited discussing the ways I will dress it up – adding buttons, beads and lace flowers to it and it will grace the bed in the guest room of our new home. Melanie also bought Miles and I a tallll terrarium to house an exotic plant which has outgrown its crystal confines.




Yes, Mel took me to the thrift store AGAIN... like she had to drag me, hey? I had to rob my piggy bank severely along the way! I didn't think there could be anything new out yet – but I was wrong! I wound up buying this beautiful tall candle holder (the red tall thing - is there a name for that, like a storm candle or something?) for $1.50 (I saw them in our local home hardware store at Christmas for over $30) and a luxurious coverlet edged by eyelet lace. Mel and I got excited discussing the ways I will dress it up – adding buttons, beads and lace flowers to it and it will grace the bed in the guest room of our new home. Melanie also bought Miles and I a tallll terrarium to house an exotic plant which has outgrown its crystal confines.


I mixed up a batch of basil crepe mix during our visit, which later translated into green noodles for dinner (sliced into thin strips) I tossed these with crushed olives and a nice ripe avacado and served it with some steamed turbot fillets. Dessert was pumpkin cake (½ serving) cool whip lite, frozen fruit and a teeenssy eeensy drizzle of chocolate sauce. Some harsh diet, right?


Miles came home from his meeting as week as a lamb, under the influence of a brutal cold. I warmed some barley filled bags in the microwave and tucked them by his feet in bed and snugged the sheets up to his chin while he rested... poor fella. We just spent the evening watching a movie together.


I've found yet another flower poem which too, is stirring and gives a glimpse of what we can anticipate not too far in the future...


Beside my cottage door it grows,

The loveliest, daintiest flower that blows,

A sweetbriar rose.


At dewy morn or twilight's close,

The rarest perfume from it flows,

This strange wild rose.


But when the rain-drops on it beat,

Ah, then its odors grow more sweet,

About my feet.


Ofttimes with loving tenderness,

Its soft green leaves I gently press,

In sweet caress.


A still more wondrous fragrance flows

The more my fingers close

And crush the rose.


Dear Lord, oh, let my life be so

Its perfume when tempests blow,

The sweeter flow.


And should it be Thy blessed will,

With crushing grief my soul to fill,

Press harder still.


And while its dying fragrance flows

I'll whisper low, 'He loves and knows

His crushed briar rose.


ACTS 14:22


Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God”


Technology Terms for Country Folk – part 1



1. LOG ON: Makin a wood stove hotter.

2. LOG OFF: Don't add no more wood.

3. MONITOR: Keepin an eye on the wood stove.

4. DOWNLOAD: Gettin the farwood off the truk.

5. MEGA HERTZ: When yer not kerful gettin the farwood.

6. FLOPPY DISC: Whatcha git from tryin to carry too much farwood.

7. RAM: That thar thing whut splits the farwood.

8. HARD DRIVE: Gettin home in the winter time.

9. PROMPT: Whut the mail ain't in the winter time.

10. WINDOWS: Whut to shut wen it's cold outside.

11.SCREEN: Whut to shut wen it's blak fly season.

12.BYTE: Whut them dang flys do.


BARB'S HANDY TIP #186

Understanding a Healthy Lifesytle


I found this site while doing some research on the 'good' and 'bad' fats in foods. I found a terrific section under the nutrition tab – but the rest of the site is very informative and helpful also. I hope its of value to you too!


Welcome to Helpguide!

Our mission is to:

  • Empower you to make educated health and lifestyle choices for yourself and your family.

  • Offer you accurate, easily accessible non-commercial articles and references on mental health, lifestyle, and aging issues.

  • Prepare you for informed discussions with your health professionals so you can share in the decision making.


HELPGUIDE

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Barb--Those glass chimneys are called hurricane lamps, I think. You find the best things. I'm envious. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for another set of great doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your blog and the lovely downloads. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the pretty doodles:) I appreciate your sharing them with me:)

    Hugs,
    Valinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog and love the doodles. Yes, those are hurricane lamps. They are great with pillar candles, but I have recently found a different use. I have been using floating candles in them with water - it looks SO cool! If you can find some try it - the "floaters" use tealights so you can put several in the lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these doodles. You are a
    wonderful doodler! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the doodles; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the doodles! TY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the doodles..girl
    your new lamps will look good in your new home ...awesome girl...was Melanie dragging by your leg ..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. barb you are just too good. these are so, so perfect!! thanks LOADS!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts