I’ve seen some “texture” creams in Scrapbook shops but it’s always either hit when I have no money or its too expensive for my budget so I decided to look for a (frugal) alternative on the net. I came up with the option to try some spackle and here is my finished project:
5.5 x 4.25 card base
Moon .sil file - Barb Derksen (free for you!)
Designer Paper - “Chiaro” from the Alla-Prima Collection
Template made from a cereal box
I trimmed the cardstock to fit the card base. I then looked at the designer paper and found a partial blossom to match the pattern already on the paper. I trimmed it out by hand using sharp scissors. I set this aside.
My husband loves this cereal and so I wind up with quite a few boxes and I simply hate to throw them out because the pattern is perfect for a template. I cut it flat around the design leaving some room around the pattern for my messiness - positioning it where the blossom would end.
Then I laid it on the designer paper and took some of this Dry Dex spackling and smoothed it over the leaves pattern using a spatula. I kind of like this particular spackling as it goes on pink but dries white, this way I’m not tempted to play with it before it’s set. I lifted the template off once I had the height and texture I wanted for the leaves.
And once they were completely dry (I believe I even helped hurry this up with either my heat embossing gun or my hair dryer, lil Miss Impatiant Pants that I am)
So then I painted the leaves with my Pearlescent watercolors. I bought mine at a scrapbook supply store but I have also seen them in Michaels too.
Then added touches of paint to the blossom and I drizzled some glue (the TomBow is nice and fine) on the cut out flower and then…
I sprinkled it with this fun glitter for interest. I am a true glitter girl and I saw this just as I was leaving a shop and decided to take a chance on it. The glitter was in larger bits than I’d generally consider but the price was right and I had my credit card along and… well! I’ve since fallen in ♥ with it and have to stop myself from adding it to every little thing.
I was happy with the way this project turned out.
Stay tuned and you will be treated to several more projects using both the spackling and the glitter!