Saturday, June 28, 2014

The SLOOOOOWW Days of Summer - FREE Snail Cutting file!

Summer has begun officially - and now I feel it in my heart and soul too.  You know how this is sometimes - this queuing of a particular season in your heart?  I don’t know what throws the switch internally, be it the weather?  Where I happen to be? (I’m visiting at the moment, so looking with fresh eyes?)  Could it be the visit in itself?  (the relaxation of a day’s schedule and ability to be prone to wander at whim?)  Perhaps its the allowing of meals to ‘unfold’ rather than plan everything down to a T.

At any rate, I'm here. 

Another thought, maybe its the fact one can pack everything up into one suitcase (or in my case a nice plastic tub (so much easier to get in and out of fast)   It seems funny to need only what one has brought… what do I need an entire house of 'stuff’ for - or at the very least how grateful for my stuff knowing I have it all, and now should appreciate it too. 

And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days
Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays.
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten.

Well, at any rate I’ve had some lovely walks these relaxing June days and enjoyed some sights I’ll share with you over the coming days.

1-Slug

On one of my ramblings here I noticed there are a lot of slugs and snails.  The slugs are quite monstrous beasts when viewed in macro mode of my camera.  I imagine myself towered over by huge versions of them in a good summer children’s story…about how they LOOK all mean and huge but they turn out to be gentle giants!

1-snail

But the snails, they are adorable to me.  Perhaps they make me think a bit like they have their ‘suitcase’ of all they need upon their back - ready to travel at any time, with all they need right where they are.  How can one not like a snail?

So, I decided to draw a snail.  I did and it turned out fine so the creative side of me carried it even a step further to make a cutting file to share with YOU!

Snail-Card2_Barb-Derksen

  I cut the body from brown kraft paper and added a couple of tiny gems for the antennae. the “shell” is composed of two cuts - a plain circle, then the spiral cut - so that the circle acts as a backdrop to the spiral.   I popped the shell up using some foam tape and then I embossed both parts of the snail because they are shiny when I see them in nature! 

DOWNLOAD

 

Snail-Card_Barb-Derksen

Here is a card I made using my Snail file - isn’t it too cute for words?  I used a bit of designer paper for the shell, the possibilities are endless.

1-small-thing

Today’s 1 Small Thing is a picture or two of something I observed on my walk the other day:

Background story - I was just beginning my walk when I could hear quite a ruckus from some birds.  They birds sounded strangely like a Catbird - a queer cackling and mewling, almost like a cat or kitten.  At any rate there were a few of them interacting.  looked down and saw a baby but it hopped off in a hurry before I could have my camera out.  I also espied:

Snake

This wee snake, trying to hide underneath a shrub.  Was it trying to get away from the birds - thinking it would wind up as “bird spaghetti” or something? 

The birds themselves proved to be very elusive and I had to really hunt to locate a glimpse and finally was rewarded with this picture:

Strange-Bird_Barb-Derksen

Do YOU know what type of bird this is?  I’d love to know.

PS - In case I don’t get back here soon, HAPPY CANADA DAY weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts