Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Just thought I would share these beautiful Christmas elements with you - my friend Olivia is really coming along with her designing. The Festive Bling Overlays are something I've never seen before - delightful elements which 'graduate' from larger to small on an overlay. They come in many shapes and can be used singly, or stacked. They can be rotated 90 degree angles to best suit your layouts and add that bit of 'glitter' to your layouts! Just erase out the parts you don't want! You will also want to buy Olivia's frame set - an amazing dozen rich frames for so little! Just click HERE to visit the SHOPPE at Sophia Sarducci!














MERRY CHRISTMAS 'STITCHED' WORDART
click to see larger - great detail!

download



Christmas IS a merry time for many of us, but a blog post on another blogger's blog (that sounds like a tongue twister!) reminded me of an important fact - its NOT merry for some folk. In fact, it can be a very painful time for others. So, while we may not change how we celebrate, we should devote some time to think of those who may find this a most difficult time!



Its so easy to get caught up in the festive spirit of this time - so much so that we could easily overlook these people. Now, I'm not necessarily talking about anything in a physical way. Though its always nice to provide food and items to the 'needy' - there are many, many kind-hearted people and corporations who join in, and thats a good thing. But more important is perhaps to reach out with your time and thoughts. If you know of someone who may find Christmas painful, why not get elbow to elbow with them and just 'be' with them in this tough time. You might not change how they feel, but I think this is really the spirit of Christmas. The reason is the birth of our Savior - born to deliver us from evil - so why not deliver someone you know from loneliness, depression or be a listening ear to hear their hurts?



At any rate, blogger Cariboo Ponderer posted of her difficulty during the Christmas Season - and thank you, Vic, I hear you. She also posted (and has given me permission to post) an article on something called a Jesse Tree. I had not heard of this before and found it very interesting. I've done a little research on it in the time since and it comes from a Catholic standpoint, so some of the scripture references may not apply to your denomination (not all do to mine) - but the idea of it certainly does! What a marvellous way to REALLY count down the days until Christmas Day, Scripturally. I'd love to know what you think. PS - as an artist this really excites me too! Thank you Vic, for sharing this and allowing me to copy it to my blog.



I'd be happy if you refrained from commenting on my own blog today and instead leave a comment for Vic, if you have an encouragement for her regarding how Christmas is a most difficult time for her?







JESSE TREE stained glass window
Cathedral of Chartres




THE STORY OF THE JESSE TREE
(possibly the forerunner of the modern Christmas Tree)



Jesse was the father of the great King David of the Old Testament. He is often looked upon as the first person in the genealogy of Jesus.



In Church art a design developed showing the relationship of Jesus with Jesse and other biblical personages. This design showed a branched tree growing from a reclining figure of Jesse. The various branches had pictures of other Old and New Testament figures who were ancestors of Jesus. At the top of the tree were figures of Mary and Jesus.




This design was used mostly in stained glass windows in some of the great medieval cathedrals of Europe. The Cathedral of Chartres (which was dedicated in 1260) has a particularly beautiful Jesse Tree window.


Another development in religious art during the Middle Ages was that of Mystery Plays--drama that depicted various Bible stories or lives of Saints and Martyrs. These plays were performed in churches as part of the liturgical celebrations. One such play was based on the Bible account of the fall of Adam and Eve. The "Tree of Life" used during the play was decorated with apples. (Quite possibly this is also the forerunner of our own Christmas tree.)




JESSE TREE ORNAMENTS If you decide to use one symbol each day during December, there are 24 symbolic ornaments to make for your Jesse Tree, or modern Christmas tree.




JESSE TREE scriptures and symbols for each day of December:




1 Creation: Gen. 1:1-31; 2:1-4 sun, moon, stars, animals, earth
2 Adam and Eve: Gen. 2:7-9, 18-24 tree, man, woman
3 Fall of Man: Gen. 3:1-7 and 23-24 tree, serpent, apple with bite
4 Noah: Gen. 6:5-8, 13-22; 7:17, 23, 24; 8:1, 6-22 ark, animals, dove,
5 Abraham: Gen. 12:1-3 torch, sword, mountain
6 Isaac: Gen. 22:1-14 bundle of wood, altar, ram in bush
7 Jacob: Gen. 25:1-34; 28:10-15 kettle, ladder
8 Joseph: Gen. 37:23-28; 45:3-15 bucket, well, silver coins, tunic
9 Moses: Ex. 2:1-10 baby in basket, river and rushes
10 Samuel: 1 Sam. 3:1-18 lamp, temple
11 Jesse: 1 Sam. 16:1-13 crimson robe, shepherd's staff
12 David: 1 Sam. 17:12-51 slingshot, 6-pointed star
13 Solomon: 1 Kings 3:5-14,16-28 scales of justice,temple,2 babies & sword
14 Joseph: Matt. 1:18-25 hammer, saw, chisel, angle
15 Mary: Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38 lily, crown of stars, pierced heart
16 John the Baptist: Mark 1:1-8 shell with water, river
17 Jesus is Wisdom: oil lamp, open book
18 Jesus is Lord: Ex. 3:2; 20:1 burning bush, stone tablets
19 Jesus is Flower of Jesse: Isaiah 11:1-3 flower, plant with flower
20 Jesus is Key of David: Isaiah 22:22 key, broken chains
21 Jesus is the Radiant Dawn: Psalm 19:6-7 sun rising or high in sky
22 Jesus is King of the Gentiles: Psalm 2:7-8; Ephesians 2:14-20 crown, scepter
23 Jesus is Emmanuel: Isaiah 7:14; 33:22 tablets of stone, chalice & host
24 Jesus is Light of the World: John 1:1-14 candle, flame, sun







TREE TOP VIEW OF THE STORM!




We had a good little and brief snowstorm here on Sunday. It came, it snowed, it went. It turned from fall to winter over the morning, snowed all day, and before midnight hit, was melting away again. Wow. Today dawned balmy and now the sun is peeking out. There were three deer (one a baby, limping ) on the lawn outside my window as I posted.

Now its come to my attention that some of you will go "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" and say thats SO cute, while the odd one will let me know that dinner just walked by...



Thats what happened with the little quail photo I posted the other day - the pic arrived back in my mailbox with a recipe... ACK - I just could not do that! It would be like me sending you a recipe to cook your cat or dog. No kidding, these things are my pets. Yes, you are a baddy, you naughty sender, though I know you are a really really nice person really. You leave my lil quailses alone or you will have your hands tied together when you come stay with me!



I gave you a link the other day for a great little free painting program for kids and I ran across another wonderful and useful link. This one is for videos for Preschool children. They are videos which can teach them to do activities and songs. I even noticed a few simple Christmas Songs they can learn. They are simple and easy - great resource! Just click HERE to visit Cullens ABC's preschool videos.



Also, I was at over at Crosscards and they have some beautiful Christmas desktops and new ecards to send, so you may want to check them out too!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the word art, but most of all, thank you for reminding us that it isn't all merry for everyone. The Jesse Tree is also something new to me, thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TY so very much Barb!!!!!
    HUGS!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWWWWWWWWWWW- and NO- I wouldn't send you a recipe for it- LOL. Can only hit the wildlife by accident here with my golf balls! LOL-
    SNOW GIRL- I see it, but UHUM- keep them ice-bergs to yourself - It's WARM and TOASTY here now! hahahahaha
    Sending big hugs
    Meeeee

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing that "jesse tree" history. That's pretty amazing!

    I don't think I've ever eaten quail but I sure do love watching them run. I threw a pile of birdseed up my driveway yesterday afternoon. Today birds of all sorts, including fat quail are all over it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts