Monday, April 24, 2017

Masculine Birthday Card

PP-341---Barb-Derksen

I whipped this card up from the inspiration of this week’s Paper Players #341 sketch:

 

The simplicity of the sketch is what drew me, I almost immediately know what supplies to reach for.  I owe out a few masculine birthdays and this fit the ticket.  I used paper from a 12 x 12 pad “Natural Luxury” by Craft Smith.  I seem to return to this book for both elegant and masculine over and over.  Its a great mix of florals and patterns with splashes of shiny gold thrown in.  I used a slide mount – the sort from old projectors (remember the days when you were subjected to someones family memories for hours? – sometimes that was hugely meaningful and fun, other times you wish you could clone yourself… LOL!)  At any rate, these are glass plated slides with a metal looking plastic frame which I backed with coordinating cardstock and sealed in with narrow foam tape.  A “shaker” card, basically.  The sentiment is stamped with Versafine, the words from Stampin’ Up.  I used my Simon Says Stamp stitched rectangle dies to create interest on the sentiment banner. 

 

unnamed

I’m some  weeks home from a visit to Houston Texas and I might get an inkling to post some of my favorite pics on my blog yet, we will see.  For now, here is a photo of one of my favorite spring flowers from here in our Pocket Desert area of beautiful BC – a Shooting Star flower, and a little spring inspiration as well.

 

At night I peer into a velvet and diamond night sky,

Seeking with my naked eye,

In spring I look upon the ground,

To see if I’m blessed to have found,

In night, in day – a shooting star,

I hunt upward, downward – here you are!

- Barbara Derksen

 

6 comments:

  1. Barb, I hadn't thought to do a shaker card - genius! I love the fact that this card would work for any gender. The bold black and white with the silver is a stunning combo. Great take on the sketch. Also, I am in love with your Shooting Star - what a truly beautiful flower. Wonderful inspiration for a watercolor painting, I think.
    So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely interpretation of the sketch! Love that you've made it a shaker card and by such an ingenious method. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOwza, not only are you artistically creative, you're a poet too! LOVE this card...did you have the slide mount already or did you buy them somewhere? Perfect for a shaker card!!! And your poem is lovely too! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations! Thanks for sharing this with the Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun CAS shaker card Barbara - the sequins are like little birthday wishes all of their very own! Love your poem too - your talents know no bounds. I hope you continue to share your lovely creations with us over at The Paper Players! Thanks to for the lovely comment you left about my card on the main PP blog - so glad you liked it! Just so you know, to leave a comment on my blog you just need to click on the word 'comments' on the bottom right of the post and the comment box will appear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, I love shaker cards and for some reason I never would have thought of turning this sketch into one, but it's perfect! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players this week, so glad you did! Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fun shaker card Barb, this is such a great design.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts