Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer Vacation

When I said it was timely that I won my Nikon, I really meant it was perfect because it arrived just a day before we left on our summer vacation.  We had booked reservations at one State Campsite for a five day period but other than that we were leaving our trip up in the air.  I will blog the first part of our holiday today and follow up over the coming days.

The first leg of our journey was to make stops in on our daughters – one in Kelowna and the other in Calgary.   It was a beautiful drive through the Rocky Mountains into Alberta – only the weather was pretty dark and damp. (I’ve labelled the photos as to which are taken on the ipod, which on my Nikon)


rockies
iphone photo

After we had a few days in Calgary we headed south and spent a night in Cardston at an RV site.  We got an early start and crossed the USA border.  This is always when we feel truly “away”.  Perhaps its more a mental thing as much as a physical thing. 

Alberta
iphone photo

DSC_0026
camera photo

With all the rain this year everything is still so lush and green.  I could not resist taking a photo of my Mr. taking a photo. 

DSC_0032
camera photo

I’m always a sucker for places with quaint names and my Mr. always relents to them for me.  This photo was taken at a small town called Sugar City.  We stopped and had a sandwich and a respite under a shady tree. 

DSC_0035
iphone photo

We arrived in Idaho Falls about lunch time.  I had hoped to spend an entire day there but it turned out to be a blistering hot day and we opted to continue on our journey instead.  The following two nights we spent at a Forestry or State Camp area on the Madison River. 

The campsites were adjacent to West Fork Cabin Camp – just click HERE to learn more.  The reason I add this in is because some of our family members are AVID fishermen and after talking to the manager of this place we found out that the Madison River is a fisherman’s haven!  I don’t have a photo to post of this area though. 

Then we pushed on and as we were driving down the highway noticed a sign for Heise Hot Springs.   We are a sucker for hot springs so decided to check it out.  We wound up staying a few days – soaking in the pools at night and going for hikes in the day. 

DSC_0037
camera photo

DSC_0049
camera photo

The view from the trail was fabulous, so we decided to go even further, climbing to the top of a hill.  Here are several more photos. 

DSC_0045
camera photo

DSC_0047
camera photo

This trail had been west of our campsite, and the next day we went for a jaunt to the east.  We simply chose a local road and kept walking, and walking and walking. 

DSC_0051
iphone photo

Erm… being careful to be polite to cars as… after seeing this sign all shot up, well.  lol!

DSC_0056
camera photo

With this final photo – which looked so peaceful and what summer makes me think of. 

I will be back in a day or two with the continuing part of our journey.  Thanks to you, Valinda, for reminding me it has been a MONTH since my last post. 

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear/read from you! I was beginning to wonder. Your trip looks so awesome. Just to travel and stop where it looks like fun. A dream to do someday. I will live through your photos and can´t wait to see your next post.
    Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Barb:)
    Oh how FUN and so relaxing too. Love your pics!!:) Jim and I haven't been camping for years and years now.We use to really enjoy it until I couldn't get up one morning after laying on a float for a mattress in a tent.My back went out ..big time.:( That pretty much called a halt to the "roughing it" style.LOL Now...if I had an RV with a nice mattress and air conditioning..I might just consider it again.hehe
    So happy you had a great trip and got to soak in the hot springs and climb hills and take great pics.:)

    Thanks for posting again.I missed you soo much!!

    Huge hugs,
    Valinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ...your home ...hurray...wonderful pictures..glad you had wonderful time and a great time to relax. Can't wait for our chat time.

    Can't wait to see more pictures of the holiday pics.

    Hugs
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back :)

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beeyoooteeful pix my friend, both camera & iphone pix!! Looks like you saw some very loverly areas!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts